Pages

Monday 13 August 2012

Tamika's Moment of Excellence!


Everyday I had come home with a lot of sweat pouring down my face and wanting to strive for excellence taking over my brain and mind determined to be at least the fastest runner in my five year old cross country age group like a cheetah running to catch its prey! I knew that if I had the time to practice, the guts to ask my uncle to train me and also my determined mind to do it then I knew that I was going to come 1st place and as well strive for excellence by winning the trophy and certificate.

The day finally arrived with myself and ten other girls lined up to run half of the school cross country field with myself thinking of how hard I trained and the word to strive for EXCELLENCE in my head as the blocks clapped as loud as lightning banging up in the dark blue sky. Everyone cheered me on as I was focused hard on at least coming 1st place when I had realised that every time a girl caught up to me taking the lead, I would cut her off by going into her on the same lane that she was running in. There was a change on the field as the cones that were there for all of the runners to directly see where they were going was changed because the organisers could see that we were all just running only a quarter of the field so they made people to yell out to the runners including me as we were heading into the finish line to run another lap around the same place that we were all running.

My grandmother and a few people could see that I was not concentrating on them trying to tell me where to go but I did not notice them. I could feel the tension as I raised my hands up in the air happy then ever that I had finished but everyone looked directly straight towards me as I had gone red thinking that I had not ran another lap. Everyone of the other girls finished puffing hard out as when I finished I was not even near tired but when they announced the winners of third, second and first places my name was not even called out in any of those categories. My head had slouched through the whole prize giving for sports as I heard a voice call out my name as I looked up everyone pushed me up onto the stage as I received 1st place with a certificate and trophy as they told me that they had made a mistake on forgetting to put my name in the first place category.

I looked on to the certificate as it said "Tamika for Excellence in 5 year old running placing 1st place!"
Then as I thought over in my head if I did not put my time to train or the guts of asking my uncle to train me and was also not determined to come first place and strive for excellence then I would have not got a trophy or certificate so I was very proud of myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.